Soon, she comes bouncing out of our room. "Look, Mommy, look what I did to my hair!" In the night light silhouetted, I thought, "What on earth did you put in your hair that got it so slicked back?" I reach out to touch it, expecting wet and gooey. Instead, I feel a buzz cut! I scream, I start to cry, I send her over to the couch where Scott is sitting.
My parents got there just as we were about to shave her head. My mom said that we just couldn't do that to her. It would be too traumatic. So, we cleaned up the edges and got rid of a few longer chunks on the top.
And how she looked two years ago, tonight...
That winter she wore a lot of really cute skull caps. She still got to look like an adorable little blond girl with her long hair hanging out the back. But, boy am I glad it's long enough now we can pull it back any way we want and the front doesn't require a handful of bobby pins.
Here are the emails that I sent out, with pictures to let our family members know what had happened at our home that night...
First email was titled "6 Things we take for granted-"
6. seedless watermelon
4. running water
3. debit cards
2. DVR/ TIVO
1. Hair on the top of your three year old daughter's head.
The follow up email the next morning was titled, "Now for the explanation... "
Important lessons that mom and dad learned last night.
1. When you send a 3 year old into your bedroom to watch Herbie and she quits coming out wanting juice, chocolate milk cuddles or just to say hi, DO NOT assume she is just liking the movie or asleep.
2. When she tells you her hair is in her face and its bugging her, HIDE THE SCISSORS
3. Anytime a 3 year old is quiet assume the worst
4. When your 3 year old comes out with presumably slicked back hair, be very wary of what she's really been doing.
5. 3 year old do not understand the ramifications of cutting their hair to the scalp. It won't grow back in a day.
6. Little girls don't want to look like their dads but do want to look like their baby sister.
Now that we have moved past this experience, I can honestly laugh about it. And can say, Jade did not learn her lesson after that haircut. About a year later (August 2007) , she cut Ivy's hair.
She's learned her lesson.